Did you know that words can be the key to our success or the reason for our downfall? According to the Epistle of James Chapter 3, your tongue and your words will be to your life what a steering wheel is to a car. Whichever direction the steering wheel turns, the car follows. In the same manner, your direction and course in life is determined by the words of your own mouth.
The mouth is a powerful force – for good or evil. The Bible says that words can carry enormous power: the power to heal or to wound; to encourage or to dishearten; to speak truth or to deceive; to praise or to criticize.
Proverbs 21:23 (MSG) Watch your words and hold your tongue; you’ll save yourself a lot of grief.
Proverbs 6:2 You are snared by the words of your mouth; you are taken by the words of your mouth.
Proverbs 18:21 (MSG) Words kill, words give life; they’re either poison or fruit – you choose.
Talk is not cheap
The old saying: “TALK IS CHEAP” is a lie, it’s a myth! WHY? Because talk is very expensive!! What a person says, and the words he speaks is ultimately what he gets and what he pays for in life! The real truth is that the words of your own mouth can bring you success or failure; strength or weakness; victory or defeat; a happy home life or misery; freedom or bondage; health or sickness; faith or fear; provision or hardship; courage or discouragement.
- The Bible has a great deal to say about the power of your mouth and why talk is not cheap. Here are 7 truths you should know about the power of words.
- The Bible says with words God created the world and with words we create our world (Hebrews 11:3; Isaiah 57:19).
- The Bible says with your mouth confession is made unto salvation: the word “salvation” includes freedom, victory, success, peace, healing and abundant life (Romans 10:8-10).
- The Bible says your tongue is like a “steering wheel” and it steers the direction and course of your life (James 3:3-5).
- The Bible says by your own mouth and words you are justified or condemned (Matthew 12:37).
- The Bible says loose lips and a careless mouth will get us into all kinds of trouble (Proverbs 18:7; Proverbs 21:23).
- The Bible says your tongue can be a liability or an asset; it can work for you or against you (Proverbs 18:21).
- The Bible says your words can bring you healing, health and life or make you sick (Proverbs 12:18; Proverbs 15:4; Proverbs 16:24).
The power of our words
Did you know that what you speak and consistently say about yourself has greater impact on you than anything anybody else says about you? So, how do we harness the power of our words and make them work for us and not against us?
Everything that comes out of your mouth makes its impression and leaves its influence upon your life… good, bad; positive, negative; faith, fear; health, sickness; abundance, lack; blessing or curse. To walk in victory and manifest God’s best in your life: Submit your tongue to the control of the Holy Spirit, and train your mouth to speak the Word of God and the Word of God will come to pass in your life!
The Bible teaches that you can change your circumstances by changing your words. Now is the time to believe for God’s best in all areas of your life and consistently speak forth positive words that confirm God’s best for you and your future!
Learn to speak faith-filled words to your situation and see your life transformed. God can bless your life through the words you speak.
Don’t get hung by your tongue
Far too often people are overly self-critical and constantly “badmouth” themselves saying: “I’m stupid! I can’t do anything right.” Or “I’ll never lose this weight. I just know I’ll never get back into shape!” Or “I guess I’ll never get married… I’ll never meet the right one!” Or “Nothing good ever comes my way … I never get any good breaks … I guess I’m just not lucky enough… I’ll never get out of debt … I’ll never get that job… I’ll never get promotion… I never have enough money.”
Proverbs 18:21 Life and death are in the power of the TONGUE.
When people talk this way they may not realize it, but they end up “hung by the tongue” and curse their future. Those negative words register deeply into their minds. Before long, they are brainwashed negatively and limp through life with a defeatist mentality, low self–worth and diminished confidence. Worse yet, those negative mindsets can seriously hinder and put limits on God’s plan for their lives.
Both death and life are in the power of the tongue, so we must choose our words carefully (Proverbs 18:21).
Speak life and not death
Your words are the key to victory or defeat! What about your words? What are you saying when you speak to your spouse, to your children, to others, to yourself, to your business, to your finances… are you speaking words of life or death, faith or fear, victory or defeat? Are you cursing or blessing your future?
Learn to speak positive, faith-filled talk and watch the words that come out of your mouth… good things will happen in your life!